Saturday, July 18

getting rid of stuff

Okay my friend Susie H is going to be delighted to hear I finally cleaned my closet (which is actually a little room) and got rid of all the shoes that hurt my feet, or had worn down heels, or it's impossible to walk in. I got rid of them even if they were only worn once. I got rid of purses that I hand't used in the last year and got rid of every t-shirt or tank top that had a stain on it!

I'm pretty obsessed with organization magazines, shows, books. Here's what I've picked up from all this research.

1. Don't organize and clean at the same time, you'll never finish cleaning. To tackles a big mess start but straightening it up and making it look clean, even if that means making a box of stuff you'll go through to organize. Once the room looks better you'll have a lot more energy to organize and de-clutter.

2. Go with what feels natural. I once read that if you naturally put the mail on the table everyday although you've made a space for it in the office, put a basket on the diningroom table for mail, you won't retrain yourself most often.

3.If you haven't used it in a year you don't need it.

4.Sentimental things aren't really doing much for you in a closet or box, make a small part of that object. Although this one doesn't apply to me much, I'm much more about does it please aesthetically than if it's sentimental.

5. Read or review things only once! This is my favorite, why look at mail once then again to decide what to do with it. Look once and make an action, recycle or put in a bill pile. Same with email, answer immediately if you can then you won't waste time reviewing again.

That's all i know folks!

1 comment:

The Sun Always Shines said...

all of these rules are useful to my life but #5 is the most important time saver I have read in awhile. Good list.

And by the way, I have tears in my eyes as I type this. Your closet is clean?

Take...a...picture...someone.

I am just so excited!