Tuesday, April 28

where have all the chunky girls gone


Yesterday I was flipping through channels and saw an old Janeane Garofalo stand up show. She was looking a bit grungy in t-shirt and cordorys. I was so happy to see her and thought "Good ol' Janeane, she's remained true to herself." As the show went on I realized the jokes were about Mr not Ms Clinton and that the routine may be a bit old. I googled Janeane and low and behold this very thin gaunt looking woman. "NO not Janeane, she was the hold out! She told Hollywood to f themselves, she was brains and wit first, looks second." She now joined the cadre of "chunky" women who look more and more like bobblehead dolls a their heads wobble on their tiny bodies. Margaret Cho, Kate Winslet, Christina Ricci, Ricky Lake.

They weren't even real world chunky, they were hollywood chunky which means they defied the standard size requirements for success in the spotlight. They seemed to be saying they would succeed on their own terms, they knew we liked them the way they were...or maybe they didn't.



I blame the award shows with their red carpet coverage. Now there is a red carpet for every event and actresses drag themselves down the entrance posing for the photographers looking as if they'll need a transfusion at the end to give them the strength to go on.




And now who do we have? Who will defy the never thin enough standards of beauty in Hollywood? America Ferrera seems to be downsizing at a rapid rate. Jessica Simpson, although veering towards chunky at times, is hardly stereo-type defying!


Adele, singer from Britian, it's all on you. Now that she's making appearances in the US I give her six months before I add her to my bobble head collection.





3 comments:

The Sun Always Shines said...

Brava Dee!
Great posting!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that all of my 90s heroines had gone all Hollywood-skinny...!

It's not just the red carpet. Every interview I read with an intelligent and honest actress plainly states they won't get roles unless they're thin. Just plain won't. Because there are no roles for non-thin types anymore...not even the quirky best friend! Truly sad.

Anonymous said...

I so totally share your disappointment. I saw Janeane on a show recently and I suspected she had just gotten her lips done as well. As if losing weight is not enough, they have to erase all signs of age. Janeane and Margaret: two women who were loved for their minds; how they stood up for the underdogs; how they made society reevaluate its relationship with women, misogyny and sexism. And they threw it all away. They said, "We don't care about our fans anymore, the ones to whom we owe everything. Thanks for the push, now, we're going to try to sell you all out to the straight white men who run the industry." But, I'm not bitter :)

Thanks for voicing a frustration I've been having.